The steps below will guide you through the process of installing a storage controller on a Dell PowerEdge R710 server. Still trying to decide on a RAID card? We recommend picking up the H700 controller below.
Installing a storage controller on the R710
1. Turn off the system, including any attached peripherals, and disconnect the system from the electrical outlet.
2. Open the system.
3. Install the controller card in the storage expansion slot on the riser farthest from the power supplies.
Holding the card by its edges, with the card-edge facing the riser, insert one side of the card into the black card-edge guide. Bend outward on the blue card-edge guide, lower the card onto the blue card-edge guide, and release the guide.
Insert the card-edge connector firmly into the expansion-card connector until the card is fully seated and the plastic card guides fit over the edges of the card.
4. Connect the card to the SAS backplane.
Connect the SAS data cable connector labelled "SAS_0" to the white SAS_0 connector on the card, and the connector labelled "SAS_1" to the black SAS_1 connector on the card.
Unlatch the fan assembly and lift it out of the chassis. Remove the cable retention bracket on the right to expose a channel for the cables.
Route the SAS cable along the channel underneath the plastic cable retention bracket.
Attach the connector labeled "SAS A" to connector SAS A on the backplane, and attach the connector labeled "SAS B" to connector SAS B on the backplane.
For PERC H700 / H200 the cables are interchangeable, however the “A” connector on the controller must be connected to a matching “A” connector on the backplane.
5. If this is a battery backed storage controller, install the battery if available. Connect the battery cable to the connector on the battery.
Locate the plastic battery holder on the inner wall of the chassis next to the control panel board.
Insert the battery into the battery holder.
Route the cable through the left side of the chassis, underneath the plastic retention clip.
Connect the battery cable to the battery connector on the RAID controller.
6. Replace the plastic cable retention bracket, fan assembly and close the latches.
7. Close the system.