Installing a storage controller on the R610
The steps below will guide you through the process of installing a storage controller on a Dell PowerEdge R610 server.
- Turn off the system, including any attached peripherals, and disconnect the system from the electrical outlet.
- Open the system.
Install the controller card in riser 1 using the guides.
- Locate the storage controller guides to the right of expansion card riser 1.
- With the storage controller card-edge facing the riser, insert one side of the card into the black card-edge guide.
- Bend outward on the blue card-edge guide, lower the card onto the blue card-edge guide, and release the guide.
- Slide the storage controller’s card edge connector into the card slot on the riser until the card is fully seated.
Connect the card to the SAS backplane
- Connect the SAS data cable connector labelled "SAS_0" to the white SAS_0 connector on the card, and the connector labelled "SAS_1" to the black SAS_1 connector on the card.
- Unlatch the fan assembly and lift it out of the chassis to route the SAS cable along the inside of the chassis, underneath the plastic cable retention bracket.
- Attach the connector labeled "SAS A" to connector SAS A on the backplane, and attach the connector labeled "SAS B" to connector SAS B on the backplane. i. For PERC H700 the cables are unlabeled, however the “A” connector on the controller must be connected to a matching “A” connector on the backplane.
If this is a battery backed storage controller, install the battery if available.
- Connect the battery cable to the connector on the battery.
- Locate the battery bay on top of the hard drive bays.
- With the cable oriented toward the back, angle the left side of the RAID battery into the left side of the battery bay.
- Rotate the right side of the battery down and press into the locked position
- Route the battery cable through the right chassis wall.
- Connect the battery cable to the battery connector on the storage controller.
- Replace the fan assembly and close the latches.
- Close the system